Sunday, June 9, 2013

Wheat free June.

Hello there!
If you follow me on Facebook, then you are probably already aware that my husband, Jay, and I have committed to going wheat-free for the month of June.  It seemed like a good time to do something somewhat drastic, since there are so many great fruits and veggies in season now anyway! Personally, I needed a good challenge to commit to.  I always find myself saying "we should eat healthier," but what does that really mean? For me, it usually means starting out the day with sensible meals and ending with a pizza and beers at midnight! Wellllll NOT this time.  We've gone cold-turkey on wheat products and I'm very pleased to report, so far, so good!  I have had no uncomfortable tummy feelings over the past week and I have found myself eating until just full, not stuffed.  I also gave up artificial sweeteners, mainly diet sodas.  I am certain this change is very positive for us and I am excited about going on with it!!
Here is a recipe for a pretty amazing wheat-free dinner I put together the other night.  (Jay grilled.  I guess I can't take all the credit.)



Cilantro Grilled Chicken

  • Season two chicken breasts with salt and pepper in a baking dish (will need to be covered to marinate)
  • Top each piece with a teaspoon of crushed garlic 
  • Add a handful of torn cilantro leaves to each piece
  • Squeeze a few lime wedges over the dish
  • Top each with about 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
  • Use a fork to poke some holes in the chicken so it soaks up all the flavors
  • Marinate in the fridge at least 2 hours
  • Grill to perfection!
  • I added a drizzle of delicious organic honey on top before serving ....mmmmmmm!!!


Baked Curry Sweet Potato Fries


  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  • We had the worlds largest sweet potato, so I just used one and it was more than enough for two servings...
  • Cut the sweet potato into small fry-size pieces
  • Soak in a bowl of salted water for about 20 minutes (not a necessary step, but I find it helps them to crisp up a little more in the oven)
  • Spray a baking tray with Pam (or drizzle a little olive oil to prevent sticking)
  • Spread out the "fries" in an even layer
  • Sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper and yellow curry powder to taste
  • Spray (or drizzle) a little more oil over the top
  • Bake 15-20 minutes, or until crisp to your liking (my electric oven has a mind of it's own and sometimes bakes extremely fast)
We enjoyed this dinner with a fresh cilantro garnish, a drizzle of honey, and some Woodchuck Hard Cider.  Freakin amazing meal.  Who even needs wheat??
Let me know what you think!!!

--meghan :)



No comments:

Post a Comment