Monday, March 24, 2014

Operation Green Thumb 2014

It has certainly been a while since I've had time to post (or something to post about), but now that I'm beginning my 2014 garden, I figure I should start documenting the process!!

We moved into our new home in November and time has just been flying by! We were so fortunate to find a gorgeous move-in ready place. There are some little projects we'd like to do, but nothing major, thankfully!!!

My priority for this season is the vegetable garden. I have a great corner of the yard that gets a lot of sun and can easily (hopefully!) be fenced off to keep the dogs out.

I started a compost bin and it's looking pretty great, as far as decomposition goes!! It's just a large plastic bin with a clip on lid and I had my wonderful husband drill a bunch of small holes in the sides and bottom for aeration. It's about halfway full with a mixture of dead leaves, eggshells, coffee grounds, torn newspapers, and fruit and veggie scraps. Thanks to Krystal for saving me a bunch of her scraps!! I can't wait for it all to break down so I can add in the fresh compost to my soil.

The soil here is pretty tough to deal with. Muddy, wet, red clay!! Soooo, I haven't quite figured out how to clear out the garden beds yet... Stay tuned on that. For now, I've started some seeds in a mini plastic greenhouse indoors. I picked up a variety of organic Burpee seeds from Home Depot, and will probably order some more online. I've started out with: green onions, basil, cilantro, green beans, butter lettuce, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, roma tomatoes, spinach, sweet peppers, nasturtiums, morning glories, and sunflowers. I just noticed the broccoli and morning glories beginning to sprout this morning!! It's the little things.

I'd say this garden is off to a decent start... Hopefully it will be a successful season! I will be sharing photos and more updates soon! Thanks for reading.

Meghan :)


No comments:

Post a Comment